Fiction Lands Creative Writing Role Play

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fiction Lands Creative Writing Role Play

No dice or levelling up, not limited to fanfiction or original fiction, but a mix so that characters from various established fiction and your own had can interact.

What Is Learned At What Age

Ocean Elf
    Admin

What Is Learned At What Age Empty What Is Learned At What Age

Post by Ocean Elf Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:23 pm

The Age Thing

Meme: TIME GETS BETTER WITH AGE

Ocean Elf: While I agree, there are people who wouldn't because of their own experiences...

Meme: I learned that I like my teacher because she cries when we sing "Silent Night".
    Age 5

Ocean Elf: I don't remember anything like that and if it happened, I would be totally confused, probably to the point of distress, not understanding why the teacher was so saddened over a beautiful song for a happy occasion. Kids just aren't capable of sentimentality at that age.

Meme: I learned that our dog doesn't want to eat my broccoli either.
    Age 7

Ocean Elf: Oh, woop-dee-doo, the tired old scenario of a kid who doesn't like their veggies trying to pass them off on the dog. *YAWN* Please, just retire it already.

Meme: I learned that when I wave to people in the country, they stop what they are doing and wave back.
    Age 9

Ocean Elf: Which country? The US? Canada? What? And if you mean 'country' as in a rural area, so what, sometimes people wave back in the city too...

Meme: I learned that just when I get my room the way I like it, Mom makes me clean it up again.
    Age 12

Ocean Elf: Oh, so you like a messy room? You won't just admit that clutter eventually happens over time and cleaning is a chore because you're lazy, you would rather say you like it that way, hmmm.

Meme: I learned that if you want to cheer yourself up, you should try cheering someone else up.
    Age 14

Ocean Elf: Uh, that doesn't sound very 14ish to me... Not to say that there aren't teenagers with this philosophy, I'm sure there are, but I'm sorry, it just doesn't work for me...

Meme: I learned that although it's hard to admit it, I'm secretly glad my parents are strict with me.
    Age 15

Ocean Elf: I don't believe you... You can't be for real...

Meme: I learned that silent company is often more healing than words of advice.
    Age 24

Ocean Elf: Hmmm, you sound more like maybe 35...

Meme: I learned that brushing my child's hair is one of life's great pleasures.
    Age 26

Ocean Elf: Does your child enjoy it as much as you do? And if you have grandkids, maybe you'll eventually get one like me who will let you brush or run your fingers through her hair - and my grandma was the only one I would allow to do this.

Meme: I learned that wherever I go, the world's worst drivers have followed me there.
    Age 29

Ocean Elf: Tough luck on you, I guess. *snicker*

Meme: I learned that if someone says something unkind about me, I must live so that no one will believe it.
    Age 30

Ocean Elf: Yeah, I don't know how old I was when I realized this or maybe I've just been struggling to learn that all my life. Anyway, easier said than done.

Meme: I learned that there are people who love you dearly but just don't know how to show it.
    Age 42

Ocean Elf: Especially when it comes to those who think loving someone = sending them forwards instead of personal notes!

Meme: I learned that you can make some one's day by simply sending them a little note.
    Age 44

Ocean Elf: Yes, and make sure it isn't a forward, but something you actually wrote!

Meme: I learned that the greater a person's sense of guilt, the greater his or her need to cast blame on others.
    Age 46

Ocean Elf: I don't know what sorts of people have been in your life, what kind of person you are, etc. but IMO this is largely rubbish! There are tons of people who go around blaming others without feeling any guilt over anything whatsoever!

Meme: I learned that children and grandparents are natural allies.
    Age 47

Ocean Elf: I figured that out long ago just by experience and by observation.

Meme: I learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.
    Age 48

Ocean Elf: That is my general belief, concerning my life only. I honestly don't believe that applies to everyone until they can get out of some terrible situations, and sadly, some people never do.

Meme: I learned that singing "Amazing Grace" can lift my spirits for hours.
    Age 49

Ocean Elf: Okay, cool, for me, the song changes, right now it's Byker Hill.

Meme: I learned that motel mattresses are better on the side away from the phone.
    Age 50

Ocean Elf: Huh? Why? Because the phone is that much quieter if it rings? Meh, whatever...

Meme: I learned that you can tell a lot about a man by the way he handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights.
    Age 51

Ocean Elf: What's rain got to do with luggage got to do with Christmas tree lights? Maybe he's fine and chilled out on a rainy day, cool with untangling the lights, but might get stressed over the lost luggage, hmm? And the same applies to women as well, I mean, surely you'd get a bit worked up if your luggage was lost, right? The other two things, well, anyone of either gender can go either way on it.

Meme: I learned that keeping a vegetable garden is worth a medicine cabinet full of pills.
    Age 52

Ocean Elf: Meh, whatever, some of us don't like vegetables, some don't even like gardening, and just because you don't have a vegetable garden doesn't mean you need a bunch of pills.

Meme: I learned that regardless of your relationship with your parents, you miss them terribly after they die.
    Age 53

Ocean Elf: Sorry if you experienced that loss. I hope that won't happen around here for a very long time.

Meme: I learned that making a living is not the same thing as making a life.
    Age 58

Ocean Elf: *Yawn* I just saw this same living VS. life thing somewhere else on the net the day before. I don't know why so many people insist on reproducing the same quotes as the next guy/girl. It's annoying. Give it a rest.

Meme: I learned that if you want to do something positive for your children, work to improve your marriage.
    Age 61

Ocean Elf: Yeah, if it applies to you...

Meme: I learned that life sometimes gives you a second chance.
    Age 62

Ocean Elf: Yeah, I'm sure many others have experienced something like that as well. No one is going to realize this *dong* just like that because a chain letter told them so.

Meme: I learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catchers mitt on both hands. You need to be able to throw something back.
    Age 64

Ocean Elf: And your point is?

Meme: I learned that if you pursue happiness, it will elude you. But if you focus on your family, the needs of others, your work, meeting new people, and doing the very best you can, happiness will find you.
    Age 65

Ocean Elf: Gah, maybe that's how you see it. But the key is not to look for happiness in the wrong places and depend on other people to make you happy. You can still follow all of your suggestions but still be unhappy because those you focussed on don't seem to appreciate you enough and when you expect thanks for everything you do, that's where your unhappiness can really set in.

Meme: I learned that whenever I decide something with kindness, I usually make the right decision.
    Age 66

Ocean Elf: Wow, I figured that out a long time ago... But kindness has its limits and there are times when it's good to be kind and other times when it's necessary not to be.

Meme: I learned that everyone can use a prayer.
    Age 72

Ocean Elf: Yeah - but praying for some people isn't easy. I don't mean just that it isn't easy, I mean it's near impossible to come up with something sincere when you can't stand someone.

Meme: I learned that even when I have pains, I don't have to be one.
    Age 82

Ocean Elf: Um okay, some people are pains even when they don't have pains...

Meme: I learned that every day you should reach out and touch someone. People love that human touch-holding hands, a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back.
    Age 90

Ocean Elf: At your age, you can get away with that. I would get some pretty odd looks and people backing away if I all of a sudden went from my usual to very touchy-feely with everyone.

Meme: I learned that I still have a lot to learn.
    Age 92

Ocean Elf: I've known that since I became self-aware...

Meme: I learned that you should pass this on to someone you care about.

Ocean Elf: And *THAT* is the real crux of this thing! Take away everything else that was meant to put you, the readers, into a contemplative mood, it was all a big build up to the forwarding demand which comes to you in the form of another "I've learned!" No, chain originator, you haven't "learned" that anybody should pass this on, you "want" them to.

Meme: Sometimes they just need a little something to make them smile.

Ocean Elf: You are mistaken in your belief that this is guaranteed to make them smile! So, here's another one to think about:

I've learned that there is no end to the angles virals use just to get people spreading them, and I've learned to sift through all the proverbage, the glurge, the jokes, the tirades, the warnings etc. and get to the bottom line, the heart of the matter.

Over and out.

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 5:04 am